Skip to Content Skip to Navigation
Looks like you're new here! Find out how you can get the most out of this website Don't show this message again

Teacher Registration Across the States

September 25, 2014 by Curtin CEL Team

Teacher Registration Across the States

We get lots of questions from OUA students around the registration process. The process does still differ a little from state to state but state registration bodies have fairly comprehensive websites providing handy resources.


The main differences appear to be around provisional registration and working before being fully qualified but only NSW seems to allow for this practice with its conditional registration process. Principals offering final prac students paid employment may, however, apply on behalf of the student for limited registration.

Mutual Recognition

If you are registered in the ACT, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia or even New Zealand, you can easily register to teach in other states due to the Mutual Recognition Principle. This simply requires some paperwork and payment of registration fees to the pertinent body.

Further information can be found for your state via the links below:

ACT – Teacher Quality Assurance
QLD – QLD College of Teachers
NSW – Board of Studies Teaching and Educational Standards NSW (BOSTES)
NT – Teacher Registration Board
SA – Teachers Registration Board of South Australia
TAS – Teachers Registration Board of Tasmania
VIC – Victorian Institute of Teaching
WA – Teachers Registration Board WA

Proudly Supported By


Click below to share this post